Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Please Stand By

“What?” I gasp as my head comes off the pillow.
Something woke me. I listen as intently as only a mother who is constantly sleep deprived can.
        Nothing. I’m asleep before my head hits the pillow again.
        Heavy breathing.
        I open my eyes. I’m hearing heavy breathing.
        My husband is at work. My children are in bed. It’s around midnight.
        Who is this heavy breather?
        Heart pounding, I noiselessly slide out of bed and tiptoe to my bedroom door. A quick peek reveals someone on the floor at the end of the hall.
        Before I can think of what to do next, I realize—I know that guy on the floor! He’s my 11-year-old, Mark. Looking closer, I see he has the family television, the old kind with the big tubes, all 19 inches of it, on his chest.
        I casually start down the hall, trying not to smile. “What are you doing?” I ask as if we’ve run into each other in Wal-Mart.
        “Mama, help me get this off!” he says frantically. “I can’t breathe!”
        “Sure you can breathe or you wouldn’t be able to talk. So, what are you doing?” I repeat as I lean against the wall.
        Knowing from experience I wasn’t going to give in, he explained with plenty of dramatic huffing and puffing.
        “When you took away my TV because of that note from the teacher, you said I couldn’t watch my TV in my room.”
        (Gasp)
        “You didn’t say I couldn’t watch this TV in my room. So I pulled the TV stand over to the hall door on the carpet, because I knew that wouldn’t wake you up.”
        (Gasp)
        “But I knew pulling it across the tile here at the end of the hall would make too much noise and wake you up.”
        (Gasp)
        “So I tried to get the TV to my room by putting it on my chest and inching over to the carpet.”
        (Gasp)
        “Then I was going to put it back on the stand and pull it the rest of the way to my room on the carpet.”
        (Gasp)
        Now he is really out of breath. I help him get the TV back on the stand.
        “Wow!” he says when he catches his breath. “I’m never doing that again.”
        “Good idea,” I say wryly. “Now go to bed. And no TV from anywhere on the planet.”       


6 comments:

  1. Ah, sons! How well I remember the days!
    Must. Be. Specific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo funny!! Should win at least a book contract.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever! Imaginative rule-bending shows great leadership skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever! Imaginative rule-bending shows great leadership skill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so funny, Carol! I'll never forget your telephone video! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete