Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Littering

I love cats. I love to have a cat in my lap, purring while I rub its neck or scratch the top of its head. I love to sleep with a cat. I’ve had more than one who would sleep under the covers, which took some getting used to – for me, the cat seemed okay with it from the start.

But – and this is what turns a lot of folks against having a cat -- it is such a pain dealing with cat litter, whether buying it or disposing of its remains that are supposed to clump and/or be odor free.

First, you have to buy the right brand of litter, and there are plenty of them out there.

This can take longer than you think.

The right brand means that it will at least partially mask the smell, but not good enough to cost twice what the other brands cost. It’s what I call middle-of-the-road shopping.

Once you get the brand established, then you have to whittle it down to the exact type that works best.

Do you need the litter for a single cat or multiple cats?

Do you need clumping or non-clumping?

Do you need extreme odor control because your cat is, at best, a little stinker?

 Or do you get the kind that has a scent already built in, presumably more pleasant than what your cat can offer?

How strong are you? Because you’re going to find yourself lugging multiple jugs or bags of litter into your house every time you go to the grocery store. Or CVS. Or Wal-Mart. Unless you opt for the new lightweight kind that’s supposed to be around 30% lighter. When thinking over this option, remember that however far your car is from your front door, the litter will feel twice as heavy as it really is.

My favorite is one for multiple cats that has Glade in it. I don’t know how Glade can overcome the smell of the litter box, but it works really well.

But, of course, your cat or cats will have the final say. If they won’t use it, you might as well chuck it out and find one they like. All this has to be done by trial and error.

Everyone has a claim to fame, and mine is my Uncle Arnette. He invented a cat litter made of alfalfa and he named it Litter Green. I think I was in grade school, so this happened a long time ago and I can’t remember a lot about it except that Uncle Arnette sent Mom (his sister) his new invention, which were green pellets. There was no such thing as clumping litter back then, just clay litter. So Mom proudly put the green pellets in Barney’s litter box, stepped back, and watched Barney jump into the box, sniff around a little and then jump out of the box, refusing to use it until Mom got the weird green stuff out of there.

What we won’t do for our pets! They are good for us and we are good for them! What a great arrangement!

Praise God!

And if you are looking to donate time or money, try an animal shelter near you. Even if it’s just a couple of bags of food, it’s a couple of bags more than they had before you walked in.

Whatever you do, I know you’ll do your best.

Mom and her cat Gracie taking a nap

1 comment:

  1. Well, well, we could have been born into the same litter! I, too, stress over cat litter - have to keep 6 of them happy over here! I personally like Fresh Step clumping - which I buy 45 lbs. at a time from Sam's and have the same problem hoisting it into the car! And, in the past, I have suggested (on my blog) sending holiday charity dollars to a reputable animal shelter. That's the first thing on my list tomorrow!
    Your photo of mom and Gracie is purr-fect!

    ReplyDelete