Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Scan That Sucker!

I was at Foodland the other day, and I noticed there was upbeat, boomer music playing – The Eagles; Crosby, Stills and Nash; Ray Charles.

And it got me to thinking about how much grocery shopping has changed since I was a teenager.

As I was checking out, I told the young cashier that years ago the cashier had to put the price of each item into the cash register. She paused her scanning for a few seconds, with her head cocked to one side as if she couldn’t picture that at all, then said, “Oh, you mean they had to enter the UPC code by hand. Yeah, we had to do that once when we were having computer problems.”

I smiled. She was so young.

“No, I mean the cashier would enter the price of each item directly into the cash register. There were no scanners. Each thing had a price tag stuck to it, so the cashier would know how much it was.”

She was scanning in high gear now and looking at me like I was a loon.

Yeah, grocery shopping sure has changed. But maybe next time I’ll just keep the history lesson to myself.



5 comments:

  1. It's embarrassing when I mention a song, movie or other item and I get a blank look. It happens more and more every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's embarrassing when I mention a song, movie or other item and I get a blank look. It happens more and more every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't they look so young? You can't help but wonder what their memories will be...

      Delete
  3. So true! My first official job was at a grocery store and we had to also divide in our heads what the price for one or two items would be if they were on sale for multiples, like 3/$1.25. Had to figure the tax, too. It's sad to say, but cashiers don't even know how to count back change or figure the correct change if it's not on the screen. :-(

    Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete