Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, July 4, 2014

The Saga of the Purse Continues…

Have you ever seen one of those tests that asks if you’ve had a life-altering event in your life recently?  It’s usually got a checklist that you can use, and it’s got some doozies on it:

Number 1 is usually the death of a loved one.  Number 2 is sometimes divorce, which is kind of like a death.  Both pretty grim.

And then the list will go on to losing a job, being incarcerated, major illness or injury, financial problems, issues with in-laws.. well, the list just goes on and on.

My question is this:  Why isn’t changing your purse listed? 

As you, my favorite reader, may recall, I blogged on this issue in November of last year.  Click here to read it again.  Trust me; it bears repeating.

Last week, after a very busy June that had 3 trips in it and every possible inconvenience my saggy purse could perpetrate upon me, I decided I’d pick up a Wal-Mart bag that had blown to the side of the highway and use that instead.

Before I could risk my life getting out on 431, however, I talked with my good friend Margaret, who calmed me down with the words, “I found a purse at the Hospice Thrift Shop, and it only cost me $1.00”

Now, if that’s not a word from God, I don’t know what is.

Like a flash – well, actually it was more like 3 days, but at my age, that’s a flash – I flew down to the thrift shop to find my $1.00 purse.  Alas and alack, my $1.00 purse turned into my $4.00 purse, but that’s okay.  Someone else had broken it in for me, and there was no apparent sagging.  Perfect!

Of course, I would have to downsize, but that was okay.  I had downsized when we moved 12 years ago, so I figured if I could handle a house, I could handle a purse.

If the V-8 lady was here, my head would be spinning along about now.

In my blog last November, I made mention of “completely-necessary-to-my-life articles.”  Unfortunately, my new purse doesn’t have room for all of those, so I have had to pitch several of them:
Ø  Chloraseptic oral anesthetic that I last used 2 years ago  
Ø  Eye drops that expired in 2011 which I forgot I had
Ø  Neosporin
Ø  Orajel
Ø  9 ballpoint pens
Ø  Cough drops
Ø  Gum mangled to the point of being unchewable

I will be taking my new purse out for a spin this afternoon. I’ve already been digging around in there for something that I had taken out.  I’m afraid the learning curve may be pretty steep on this one.  And I’m sure I’ll regret – no, make that deeply regret – some of my decisions to downsize this drastically.


But I’m a firm believer in having as few frustrations as possible, so if this works, it will be great.  If not, well, there’s always donating …

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense.
Proverbs 2:3

1 comment:

  1. Carol, I tried downsizing with a new purse a few years ago and it was a disaster. My reasoning was, because everything in a purse always falls to the bottom, I'd buy a purse the size of the bottom of the one I was using. The logic was solid, the reality wasn't.

    When I burrowed around in my full-size purse, there was extra room on top to hold all the stuff as it tumbled around. When all I had was the bottom, everything settled to the bottom of the bottom and, when I tried to dig around, things spilled out all over the place. Kind of embarrassing when 3 Snickers bars hit the floor, especially when I'd bragged about how great I was doing on my diet.

    Trust me, bigger is always better!

    ReplyDelete