Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Field Guide for Everyday Mission -- Book Review

Every once in awhile, I post a book review here on Carol Weeks Speaks!  I receive these books free of charge in exchange for a review posted on my blog and Amazon.com.  Although it's great getting a free book to read, I won't mince words in my reviews.  If it's awful, I'll say it just as easily as I'll say it's wonderful.

So I said all that to say this:  I recently read A Field Guide for Everyday Mission by Ben Connelly and Bob Roberts, Jr.  I enjoyed it very much, even though it stepped on my toes more than once. One of my weaknesses as a Christian is witnessing.

I like the writers' style and the fact that they mentioned having a beer with someone and just generally going where people are, even if it's not a traditional place for Christians. 

As I read, I found that the title says it all; this is truly a field guide for Christians everywhere.  As pointed out in the book, our “field” is anywhere we go in our usual routine, and our mission is to make disciples as we move through each day.  

The authors are very thorough as they methodically move through a series of questions, with each question leading to the next. From Why Should I Care to How Do I Share, it seems that every facet of sharing the Gospel is covered.

The book is laid out over six weeks, with a devotion every morning that includes three ways to demonstrate the Gospel.  Each week has a theme that is covered in the daily readings. 


This very practical guide gives the reader useful information, questions to answer, and no way out of our obligation to participate in the mission to share Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, Carol. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds like something we all need to read.

    ReplyDelete