Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, May 16, 2014

What’s the Deal With Websites?

I spend a good deal of time on the internet.  I visit websites and blogs to read and research.  I know what makes a great website great.  And I know when the wrong people have been left in charge of the store.

How can a huge, national company have such an idiotic web presence?  I know I’m not the most savvy person when it comes to the internet, but I can usually maneuver around pretty well if things are marked clearly.

I was on a website this morning run by an enormous communications company that was horrible!  I could build a better site, and I’m a rank amateur at such things.

I was trying to find certain information that related to my account.  It should have been clearly marked, but it was not.  I rattled around from page to page, getting more confused and frustrated with every click.  What should have been easily accessed took me at least 5 minutes to find, an eternity in internet time.

And when I finally clicked on it, the silly thing churned and churned, the little circle going around and around for about 30 seconds (again, a long wait in internet time), the words “Please Standby” appeared, and then an announcement that an error had occurred.  It invited me to try again later.

I don’t want to try again later.  It’s my account.  I want to see it now.  I may never remember to visit this site again, even though it has information that I need.

Am I the only one who sits down at the computer and then goes blank about all those things I had thought about since I last logged on?  Out of desperation, if I have enough sense at the moment I think of something I want to look at, I e-mail myself a reminder.  Back in the days of real telephones and answering machines, I would call myself and leave myself a message.

Times sure have changed.  Now I’m up against a website that clearly was designed by a 6-year-old.  It was not designed by someone who actually uses the site, that’s for sure.

This is not the first time I’ve had trouble navigating on this website, and if I continue to use their services, it won’t be the last.

And passwords – don’t get me started!  This site has at least two different sections that each require their own password and secret question.  Oh, come on, now.  Do you really expect me to remember two words per section?  Hahahahahaha!

I’m sure the folks that designed this mess are good people who truly want their site to be user friendly.  And that’s the problem – they aren’t the ones who use it.  We are.  We are the ones trying to figure out what these super knowledgeable folks have put on the page.

I think they should hire me as a consultant to show them what works and what doesn’t.  

Carol Weeks, Consultant. Has a nice ring, don’t you think?

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, Carol...you are so right on! There is a large retail store and their website is also broken--items won't go into their cart! And how about the USPS website? I think I'd rather stand in line, thank you.

    ReplyDelete