Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Spectacular Me

I’ve been sick.  Bronchitis – again.  First had it in January, then again in March/April. 

We’ve also been camping in March and April, so I’ve been through this most recent bout in our camper with my husband and 3 cats (yes, that’s how crazy we are).

I say this because I need to explain why I was watching Dr. Oz.  Now, I don’t know how long Dr. Oz has been on TV, but I can confidently say that I have studiously avoided him for the entire time.

There’s something about a man with no extra fat on his body – none, I kid you not – that just gets on my nerve, my rather pleasingly plump nerve, if you get my drift.  Especially when he spouts all kinds of info on how to lose weight and get healthy.

Really, Doctor; if it was that easy, we’d all be doing it.

Out here in the rough, we don’t get cable (partially why it’s called “the rough”).  We can get several channels out of Huntsville, AL, via the antenna on top of the camper. 

So I was not feeling well, coughing a lot, while sitting in my little bedroom, staring numbly at the TV.  And that’s where I saw Dr. Oz.

In my defense, I’d like to point out that immediately following Dr. Oz is Emergency, that old EMT/firefighter show from the 70’s.  I liked it then and I like it now.  But in order to see it from the beginning and not when I suddenly realize it’s after 4 o’clock (around 4:59), I have to watch at least part of Dr. Oz.

I don’t know if it’s the medicine or what, but I have to admit that he’s growing on me.  Either I’m getting used to it, or his smirk is not quite as bad as it used to be when he speaks of losing weight.
So the other day as I was innocently watching in order to get in every minute of Emergency, I saw a physician from England explain why just a few minutes of exercise would do you more good than killing yourself 6 days a week at the gym.

Of course, my ears perked up because I’m always ready to lose the extra poundage without much effort or discomfort.

The British doc had Dr. Oz get on a stationary bike, put the resistance at its greatest, and then pedal “like there’s a rabid dog chasing you.”  Dr. Oz seemed to think he could ace this with no problem.  He found it harder than he thought he would.  I found it hard not to smirk at Dr. Oz.

In answer to a question concerning the amount of resistance to use, the British doc said to set it for as much as you can handle; unless, of course, you are spectacularly unfit.

Finally!  Something I can relate to!  I am and forever will be spectacularly unfit.  The phrase fits me like a glove.  A large-size glove, but a well-fitting large-size glove.

You know, usually when one is considered spectacular, one has achieved something that can only be described as, well, spectacular.

I did it just by being me.  Take that, Dr. Oz…


Beg as loud as you can for good common sense.  Proverbs 2:3

2 comments:

  1. YAY for spectacular Carol! (I always knew it though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, you are spectacular! Don't know about the unfit part. I love your way with words!

    ReplyDelete