Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, March 7, 2014

What’s the Deal With Random People?

It seems simple enough.  I’m just sitting in my beloved recliner, watching a little something on TV. 

And then, completely out of the blue, some random person will come walking onto the screen.  Well, I say to myself, this must have something to do with the show I’m watching.  So I divert my attention to the little person (or half person) to see what’s going on.

What’s going on is one of the most confusing and distracting things they’ve come up with yet.

The random person has nothing to do with the current show I’m watching.  It’s an advertisement for a totally different show.  So now I’m trying to remember where I was in the story on my show and try to catch up.  Wait… What?  What did she say?  Great – I just missed the pivotal scene of the whole show.  All the characters will refer to it but never say it, and I’ll be left thinking uncharitable thoughts about the character who invented random people.
Just because we have the technology to do something doesn’t mean we should.

I’m not a multi-tasker.  I admit it.  I used to be, but those days are long past.  I turn a show on because I want to watch that show, not be continually distracted by these people and words and such at the bottom of the screen.

At the very least, we now have the channel logo and Twitter name.  At the worst, we have an actual Twitter feed going across the bottom.  Or a question to be answered on Facebook.

Admittedly, I don’t watch much in the way of sports.  I like to watch Alabama and Auburn football and that’s about it.  I know the basics of football, like there’s 4 quarters, you’ve got 3 tries to make 10 yards, stuff like that.  

But there’s something else you need to watch these games:  extremely good eyesight.  All those little boxes on the bottom and top of the screens are horrible!  They all have numbers in them that are constantly changing.  By the time I’ve located the box I’m wanting, I’ve missed a key play.  Of course, they show you the play about 50 times from about 50 different angles, but, still it would have been nice to see it when it actually happened.


I guess that’s mainly why I watch QVC.  Then all I have to complain about is shipping and handling…

Do you see the snow being plowed?  Well, Mr. Sunshine down there on the lower left has absolutely nothing to do with it!

4 comments:

  1. Actually, you have 4 tries to make 10 yards. But then, I didn't know what random people were until now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, I don't know as much about football as I thought I did. I thought it was 3 tries and then you have to kick it. That's probably not right, either...

      Delete
  2. I'm totally with you, girl! I get distracted by all that stuff. The worst is closed caption. My Mom had to have it so we kept it turned on. I obviously am incapable of reading and watching at the same time. I'd read and miss what was going on. And I couldn't NOT read it. It was scrolling away down there.
    I guess, when I do need it, I'll get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm the same way with closed caption. I love the way you put it. "And I couldn't NOT read it." It's like looking at a car wreck as you pass by. You just HAVE to look...

      Delete