Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, March 28, 2014

What’s the Deal With Construction Sites?

It really bugs me when a building starts to go up and I have no information as to what said building will be.

Clothing store?  Grocery Store?  Dollar store?  Fast Food?  Bank?

Or will it be the long-awaited, long-rumored Target?

I think it highly unlikely that a Target will locate here.  We live in a rural area with four small towns and countless smaller communities in our county.  We are lucky to have the 3 Wal-Marts.  Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it.

I’ve heard that going to Wal-Mart on Friday night has replaced death as the biggest fear people have. (Just kidding – sort of) 

Along the same lines, I was once caught in a check-out line at Wal-Mart for so long that I thought I had died and gone to hell and that was it – standing in a check-out line at Wal-Mart for eternity.  Pretty scary stuff.

Back to construction sites.  Around here, a new building can be big news.  Instead of talking about the weather, we say to each other “Have you heard about the new store coming in?” and we eagerly share what information we have.

Many times, however, people have the story completely wrong and instead of a shiny, new Target, we end up with another boring bank.  I know banks are necessary and I’m thankful for them, but I think we’ve got enough of them to go around.  Let’s see something new!  Something unique!

You’d think the business whose building was going up would be proud to say, “We are locating here!”  The only people who are proud about it are the people who are financing it and the construction company, whose signs are right out there in front of the building.

A few years ago, I started hearing that we were getting a Publix.  I took the same line of thinking as I do with the current rumors of a Target.  Probably not going to happen.  My mother kept insisting that Guntersville was getting a Publix because the husband of somebody she knows said he was going to work there.  I kept insisting that we didn’t have the traffic, the population, or the income needed for a big store like Publix.

You’ll never guess what happened.  I was wrong.  I know; I couldn’t believe it, either.

Publix is building a store in Guntersville.  I could not figure out what happened.  Our county has tried for years to draw big stores to this area, and the reasons given for not being successful at that were traffic, population and income.

Did we suddenly grow in those three areas while I was not looking?  No, it turns out that we didn’t suddenly live up to their standards, they lowered theirs in that our new Publix will be a smaller version of the standard store.

There was a lot of publicity surrounding all of this, so we pretty well knew what was going in before the land had even been cleared.

David and I have been traveling lately, and I noticed that mystery buildings are being built all over the place, not just here. 

Come on, people!  We’re nosy!  We want to know!

Give us something to talk about other than the weather.  Please?

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you! We keep getting gas stations/ mini-mart/coffee bars like Sheetz & Wa-Wa. Oh, and CVS & Walgreens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of Sheetz or Wa-Wa here in the South, but we do have a CVS & Walgreens. We're getting a Bojangles. I'm not sure if that's good news or bad...

      Delete
  2. I heard we are getting a Costco. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lord! Don't get that rumor started...

      Delete
  3. I know just what you mean. I think companies deliberately keep I
    us in the dark. Maybe they think the mystery will cause people to flood in when they do open.

    ReplyDelete