Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, February 28, 2014

What’s the Deal With Shipping and Handling?

I once read an article that said that people closely watch the actual price of an item they see on TV.  If the price is okay, they order it.  They don’t care about the shipping and handling.

We’ve all seen the commercials.  They offer you the moon, then double the offer, then add one or two additional items, then give you a price + S&P.  I may be just a bit slow and/or blind, but I don’t see any number for the S&P.  But I suspect, being the cynic that I am, that it’s going to be pretty high or they would splash it around on their commercials.

I think we can all agree that a lot of these sellers are making quite a profit on handling fees. 

I looked up a few of these as-seen-on-TV products to find out what they’re charging.  One site offered 2 large and 2 mini cleaning towels for $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

“But wait!  That’s not all!”  (Have you ever noticed that everything they say ends in an exclamation mark?)

They double the offer and throw in a mop “absolutely free, just pay separate $7.95 shipping and handling.”
Did you get that?  $7.95 on something that costs $19.95? It makes me wonder just how little it costs to manufacture these things when they are constantly doubling your order and giving you things you didn’t ask for to begin with.

Maybe I don’t want a  mop.  Did they ever think of that?

And I can tell you fer shure and fer certain that I would not pay an additional $7.95 to mail it to me.
What most people hear is “at no additional cost” and they kind of gloss over the “just pay separate shipping and handling.”

These dealers are obviously making their profit from the S&P.

Even if the towels come from one warehouse and the mop comes from another, does it really take $7.95 to mail each of them?  That little plastic mop can’t weigh that much.  Same for the towels.  I mean, they don’t come in the box all soggy and heavy, do they?

And how much “handling” does a set of towels and a mop need, anyway?  It would probably get more handling at the warehouse than at my house.

And shouldn’t it be “Handling and Shipping”?  I mean, you have to handle first before you ship.  Just a thought…


Beg as loud as you can for good common sense.  Proverbs 2:3 CEV

4 comments:

  1. LOL! I noticed they started that whole extra S&H thing a couple years back so I did some research. The best I can figure, they make a profit of around 300% on the "free" add ons when they charge the extra S&H. But Wait! Theres More! I wait for it to hit Wal-Mart and usually pay less than the T.V. price.... another good write. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I've got a million of 'em... ;-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Mark. If it sounds too good to be true.....caveat emptor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Margaret! There's no such thing as a free puppy...

      Delete