Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, December 27, 2013

What’s the Deal With Suitcases?

Have you traveled lately?  Have you packed a suitcase in anticipation of several changes of clothes even though you’ll only be gone 2 nights?  Have you tried to figure out all the zippers and compartments?

Well, I have, and it’s not pretty.
I went on a little trip recently, so I packed one small suitcase.  One thing I really love about suitcases today is the fact that they roll and have a nice handle to grip.

Years ago, when rolling luggage first came out, there were four tiny wheels, one at each corner, and you had a strap that you had to clip on (which I could never do correctly), so you ended up pulling the suitcase like you were walking the dog.  Except this dog kept falling over and you kept putting it upright, and it kept falling over, and you finally said the heck with it and left it on its side.  It looked rather crass, but it pulled much easier and eventually you were able to pick all the grass, dirt and small rocks out of it.
So rolling suitcases have come a long way.  My question is why haven’t zippers done the same?

We’re going to have to face it:  Zippers are here to stay.  I know they are essential in clothes and purses and such.  But they are driving me nuts in luggage.
They are always sluggish so you have to tug on them and give them much encouragement.  By the time I’ve got the thing smoothly sailing along, I’ve forgotten which direction I was going in!  I usually just pick a direction at random because that way I have a 50-50 chance of being right.  I also have the same odds for being wrong, which I usually am.

I’ve got 2 compartments on the front of the suitcase I use the most.  One is very long and deep and the other is much smaller.  The very long one looks like you could hide a big ol’ box of Little Debbie Pecan Spinwheels in there with no trouble at all.  And you can.  You just can’t zip it.  And what’s the use of stashing a secret something that everyone can see?  
I like you just fine, but I probably won’t be asking you if you’d like a Pecan Spinwheel.  Sorry. 

The outside compartments are very handy, but anything that takes up space in a compartment is going to take that space from the inside of the suitcase.  So when I do manage to get the outside compartments nicely packed, I realize that my inside capacity has diminished.
Which brings up an interesting point.  New suitcases now have hard sides.  Years ago, all luggage had hard sides.  When soft sides came out, we thought it a revolutionary idea!  And then when wheels started appearing, we were nearly beside ourselves with joy.

Until the zippers.  And especially that strange zippered part that supposedly gives you more room by expanding the top of the suitcase.  If there’s one thing I’m consistent about, it’s always zipping and unzipping that stupid zipper that goes nowhere.
If you want me to have extra space, just give it to me!  I believe that this feature was designed for the sole purpose of changing a suitcase so they could charge you more for the “new and improved” version.  But that may be because we’ve just come through Christmas and my cynical mind has been working overtime on all these price gymnastics.
 
I love to travel, but I hate those suitcases.  I’m thinking of using Wal-Mart bags next time – no zippers!  ‘Course that would exposing my Little Debbies to undue scrutiny.  And we can’t have that, now, can we?

 

3 comments:

  1. next "velcro" will that be a good day. o my air ports with socks coming out the doors. lu and i'll let you use my cardboard box. davy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is dedicated to my sister Linda Mixon because she suggested it. Anyone care to suggest another topic for my weekly whine? Just leave a comment here or on Facebook...

    ReplyDelete