Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, October 11, 2013

Southern Comfort

I moved to Alabama from Iowa in 1960.  My dad was transferred from Rock Island Arsenal in Moline, IL (just across the river from Bettendorf, IA) to Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL.

We didn’t know much about the south.  I guess I should say my parents didn’t know much about the south.  I was 8 years old – how much could I possibly know about anything?
I was in the 3rd grade and had already started school in Iowa when we moved.  I remember my first day at school in Huntsville.

A boy swaggered up to me and belligerently said, “Are you a yank-ka?”
I said, “What?”

He repeated a little louder, “Are you a yank-ka?”
I said:  “I don’t know.  I don’t know what that is.”

He shouted (like volume was going to help the problem), “Are you from up nauth?”
Ah!  Finally, a glimmer of understanding was shining through the southern accent.  I ventured a guess.

“Do you mean am I from the north?”
“Yeah,” he cried triumphantly.

I demurely replied, “Why, yes, young sir, I am from the northern part of our great country.”
Well, okay, I didn’t say exactly those words.  If memory serves, I said, “Yes.”

Whereupon, he punched me in the stomach.  I never saw it coming, a true sucker punch.  It doubled me over and knocked the wind out of me.
I’m imagining that he strutted away, full of himself because he single-handedly took care of a “yank-ka.”

And you thought “The South Shall Rise Again” was just a saying…

2 comments:

  1. but she married me, good ol boy from Tenn. i'll learn her better.
    lu davy

    ReplyDelete