Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, August 23, 2013

The Drinking and Driving Story

Years ago when I was a legal secretary, two men came into the office for an appointment.  Actually, only one of the men had an appointment.  The other guy was his ride.

My office was right at the front door and lobby so that I could be available for anyone who walked in.  The ride guy quickly got bored waiting for his friend, so he wandered over to my window and started a conversation with me.

Monologue would be closer to it.  He just talked and talked, not giving me much time to respond.  I was trying to be polite, but I had work to do and it was loudly calling my name.

This guy had been talking about 10 minutes straight when he told me about the time he got arrested for driving under the influence.  It wasn’t his fault, he claimed.  It seems that he had a peculiar kind of diabetes that would show his alcohol level much more than it actually was.  He explained that he had only had one, maybe two beers earlier that evening.

Oh, Lord!  I thought I had died and gone to hell and this was it – I would be listening to this guy rationalize his drinking for eternity!

But then he started complaining about his attorney’s fee, which had been $500.  He said that all his attorney had done was go up there in court and talk with the judge to get his fine reduced and any jail time removed.  It only took about two minutes.  Two minutes and the man had charged him $500!  Blah, blah, blah, on and on and on…

Until I interrupted him with “I know how you can fix that problem.”

“Yeah?” he said brightly.

“Don’t drink and drive,” I said.

His face fell.  “Oh,” he said, and shuffled away to quietly take a seat.

And having done all I could for a fellow human being, I went back to my work.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!! LITERALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!!

    ReplyDelete