Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Friday, July 12, 2013

Help! I’ve Been Marinated!

I had been sitting in my chair, dipping mozzarella cheese sticks into a little bowl of marinara sauce.  When I stood up, I thought the blanket was mostly in my chair, but turns out it was mostly not.  With the bowl in my hand, I turned to take a step, got mixed up in aforesaid blanket and suddenly found myself falling to the floor. 

It was like slow motion in a way.  I had several thoughts on the way down, one of which I will confess to but not share with you here.

David, my husband, has an extremely annoying habit of reacting very quickly when I fall.  I first noticed this about 15 years ago when I happened to fall down in a handicapped parking space in front of Huddle House.  I thought the concrete bumper thingy was in another location altogether, so I tripped on the thing and went down.

On the way down – not after I got there – I heard David say, “Carol!  Are you all right?”  I wanted to say, “I don’t know.  I haven’t finished falling yet,” but I was a little distracted at the time.

And why does he always immediately want to get me to my feet?  Back then, I couldn’t get up because I was laughing so hard.  So I sat there and laughed as David glowered above me, not thinking it funny at all.

Later, though, he stated that in his opinion, I should be handicapped before entering the handicapped area, not while I’m in it.  Ha ha.   

So back to my recent mishap.  As usual, as I was falling, I heard David holler from the kitchen, “Carol!  Are you all right?”  God help me (and I mean that literally) if I ever go down and can’t immediately assure him that I’m okay.

So I hollered, “Yes, yes, I’m okay,” not really knowing if I was or not.  I hit my head pretty hard on the closet door, and my arm hit another door with such force that the doorknob punched a perfect circle in the wall.

As I was trying to collect myself and see if I was bleeding anywhere, David came running into the room, and – you guessed it – wanted to pull me to my feet.  But I wasn’t ready to get up because my head felt a little funny, like a big ol’ bumblebee was buzzing around in there.

It was at that point that I saw the marinara sauce.  It had fanned out across the door into a perfect splatter pattern like on one of those NCI shows. It was also out in the hall, on the walls, on the carpet – what a mess!

I guess I should tell you at this point in the story that I had my right knee replaced seven months ago.  And, of course, I had just fallen on my right side.  So when I finally got up, with David’s help, I could feel something speaking to me from behind my right knee.

Uh-oh.  Don’t tell me I’ve messed up my knee.  And with David standing right there, I didn’t want to let on like something was wrong.  So I tried not to limp on the way back to my chair.

We were supposed to leave for our daughter’s house in about 30 minutes.  I had originally gotten up to take a quick shower.  So David told me to go on and take my shower and he’d clean up the mess.

My leg hurt like the dickens the rest of that day and most of the next.  Near as I can tell from WebMD, I pulled or strained or sprained a muscle behind my knee.  So I rested it and took ibuprofen on a pretty regular basis, so it’s a lot better.

But as I was sitting here thinking about all of this and how David always rushes to help, I realized that I needed to tell him something. 

So, calling him into the room, I said, “I appreciate the way you came to my rescue when I fell last week.  But, Honey, you missed a spot.”
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Lol! Oh, poor Carol! I hope your knee is feeling better by the time you read this....know my knees are in complete sympathy with yours...& I haven't had surgery! Praising God for our'helpful' hubbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cyn. My knee is feeling much better, so I reckon I'll be all right...

    ReplyDelete