Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Was I Nuts or What?

I don't know what I was thinking.  It seemed like such an easy thing to do, taking only an hour each week.  We are all adults.  I was sure it would go smoothly.  And now that I've done it twice, once last week and once this week, I can only ask myself, "Was I nuts or what?"  Calling bingo at the assisted living facility where my mother lives is just plain scary!  Those people are out to win!  They do not want you to call the numbers twice (even though more than half of the people in there have definite hearing problems).  They do not want you to chat them up between calling the numbers or between games (apparently they see that as a waste of valuable time that could be used to play more games).  They do not want you to get up and hand out the prizes (another waste of time).  And, speaking of prizes, Thursday is Paper Day, so the prizes are toilet paper, Kleenex and paper towels. (These are valuable commodities because the facility does not furnish them, even though each person there is paying a boat load of money to live there -- don't get me started) But in spite of the sharp learning curve, I think I have done pretty well.  The Activities Director said she has not received any complaints about me, and she's sure she would have by now.  That's good, because I plan on doing it again and again, as long as they will let me.  Which may not be long if I mess up and call the numbers twice or ask if anybody is close to a bingo.  Because those people are watching me, and the Activities Director's office is just around the corner...

4 comments:

  1. woo hoo, what a blast. THanks for a much needed giggle this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to come with me sometime. It's a hoot! Thanks for the comment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I know exactly what ur talkin' about!!! NO MERCY!!! it is an "IN IT TO WIN IT" attitude w/ those Bingo players!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Love the "IN IT TO WIN IT", Steph. That pretty well sums it up. Thanks for the comment...

    ReplyDelete