Bible Verse

Beg as loud as you can for good common sense. Proverbs 2:3

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Newly Retired

I am newly retired.  Well, not officially retired, but close enough... I'm using vacation time I had built up so that while my official retirement date is February 1, 2012, the last day that I actually worked was December 22, 2011.  That was almost 3 weeks ago.  People keep asking me, "How's retirement?" And I say, "So far, so good!"  But I'm not really convinced that I have walked away from the working world.  I have worked at one job or another all of my life, starting as part-time help at a dry cleaners at 16.  Being at home and doing whatever I want to do is not what I'm grappling with; it's not having a job to go to.  My husband assures me that all will be well (he's the financial genius in this family), and I'm trying to fully believe him.  He hasn't steered us wrong in over 40 years.  But change is hard, especially as we get older.  Even worse than change is the fear of change.  And fear is one of satan's great lies.  Paul said, "If God is for us, who can be against us?"  Nobody, even ones who are scary, like Mr. Change...

4 comments:

  1. I can identify with you as someone who has worked all my adult life and having retired from the stess of that rat race, I can say....you have worked and now is your time to enjoy the remainder of your life. Listen to David....all is well. It took me a few months to get into a routine but you will. Sleep late, read, and on rainy Mondays sit in your recliner with your cat! Enjoy your grandchildren, travel..so many fun options! Or if you really get desperate, come to visit me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, you're such a sweetie. Let's do lunch one day soon...

    ReplyDelete